Tsaghkadzor – Yenokavan
Tsaghkadzor literally means valley of flowers or flower canyon in Armenian. The name of Tsaghkadzor is associated with the name of the nearby Tsaghkunyats Mountains, located to the west of the town.
Originally, it was known as Tsaghkunyats Dzor by its foundation during the 3rd century. In the 11th century, the town was known as Kecharuyk, or Kecharis, derived from the Kecharis Principality under the Armenian Pahlavuni family. Later, during the 17th century, the town was called Darachichak by the Turkic invaders, keeping the name until 1947, when it was renamed Tsaghkadzor.
What to see and to do in Tsaghkadzor
- А beautiful church in Tsaghkadzor called ‘’Kecharis’
- “Tsaghkadzor Zip Line”
- A museum of famous Armenian scientist Orbely(Orbelian) brothers
- Cable Car in Tsaghkadzor
- Ski Resort Tsaghkadzor
- Entertainment centers in Tsaghkadzor
Yenokavan is situated in the north-east of Armenia, 10 kilometers from the town of Ijevan. It is located at a height of 1,000-1,300 meters, surrounded by hills, and close to a forest-covered gorge about 100 meters deep that ranges for about five kilometers.
The gorge of Yenokavan has several caves – from 10 to 30 meters long and about 15 meters wide.
The seal of mankind is put here on the walls of the cave – through dozens of beautiful carvings that depict man and beast side by side as well as images of large and small crosses. It is due to these crosses that some people visit Lastiver today as a place of pilgrimage.